Alpine Little League Umpires
Umpires are some of the most important members of our youth baseball program. By virtue of his/her role, the little league umpire provides leadership and represents authority on the field. All managers, coaches, and spectators should provide an example of cooperation, understanding, and respect for the umpire's judgment and Little League rules.
Alpine Little League has a compensated Youth and Adult Umpire Program with a long, successful history. In particular, it provides our youth with the opportunity to learn about the game of baseball and is an excellent way to build confidence and to stay involved in baseball whether playing the sport or not. Umpires are placed in divisions (AA, AAA, and Majors) based on their age and umpiring experience.
To register, go back to Alpine main page. In the upper right hand corner, click on "Youth Umpire Spring," update any information, confirm the Alpine agreements, etc. For an Adult umpires 18 years or age or older, please simply email firstname.lastname@example.org your interest in registering for the 2021 season.
As games schedule for the 2021 Spring season firms up (official league games will start March 20), we will communicate our training/orientation dates to the currently registered umpires as well as launch dates for reserving game slots, etc. Do not reserve games until you are given permission by the Umpire Coordinator.
Currently, our pre-season plan includes *only virtual* training sessions -- on Wednesday 3/17 and Thursday 3/25 in the evening. We may have additional Zoom training sessions in April as the need comes up. Zoom links will be sent out to umpires by email. Missing your Zoom link? email email@example.com.
The 2021 sessions will include:
- A basic rules and techniques overview.
- A program overview/orientation (Alpine philosophy and policies, how scheduling games works, our updated pay structure, key new rules review)
- Any changes in the rules and umpiring process due to COVID
- Review articipation and liability waivers for the League and facilities (eg. the town of Portola Valley waiver for Ford Field) that must be signed off
- If feasible later on this season, an on-field clinic (highly recommended for those progressing to AAA/plate work and/or majors games, but open to all)
Youth Umpire Program Requirements:
Important Note: Alpine Little League has a zero-tolerance policy for arguing judgment calls, umpire abuse or call-related displays of poor sportsmanship. Managers, coaches, or players involved in such conduct will be immediately ejected from the game and may be further subject to a Code-of-Conduct review.